Random Natural Hair Tip: How to prevent the white hair globs

It's happened to us all. You get a new leave in and/or styler and you decide to try it with your holy grail product. You're so excited...that you wash your hair the next morning just so you can try out your new products. You wash and condition as usual. You apply your leave in and then the moment of truth....you apply your styler and then WHAM! A head full of white cottage cheese looking globs in your hair.
You stare at your head in horror. "I can't go to work with this shyt in my head" and you are forced to rewash your hair to get rid of the horrid mistake and start all over (and end up getting to work late).

Many of us are left trying to figure out what happened. Did I use to much of one product? Not enough product? Did I rinse the conditioner out completely? WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!? This can be a frustating and madding process..espically if you wash daily (or in the morning) and your don't have time for these issues to arise in your morning routine (espically if like me, you try and sleep until the last moment possible!)

Well, here is a tip from the Naps,Kinks,Coils,and Curls files. When using two or more products (leave in + styler) that you have never used together before, put a tiny bit of each in the palm of your hand and mix. If it globs up and turns into that cottage cheese looking stuff, that's what it will do when they meet on your head. This way, you can test to see what will happen once the products are mixed, without extending your morning routine by having to rewash your hair.

Hope this little tidbit helps someone!

14 comments:

Brown Skin said...

O_O EW! thats what conditioner and gel look when i put it in my hair... not cute! and the globs dont go away

NubianCoils said...

OMG you have just saved me so much headache!!!

nappy.curly.crown said...

Yeah...certain products are known for not mixing well with other stuff (KCCC, Fantasia IC, some blended beauty products, and Cantu). I'm still trying to figure out exactly what causes it. It doesn't seem to be ingrediant based...so I think it might be something as simple as the ionic charge of the products (i'm putting this chemistry degree to GOOD use...lol)

Tori said...

Good idea! Thanks.

just jaleesa. said...

i've never had that happen to me yet.

Kalamari said...

Yah, I've never seen this happen either and wouldn't even know it exists if I didn't read about it :0 Does anyone know anything that doesn't mix with KCCC so I can see for myself? Lol.

nappy.curly.crown said...

A lot of people say that KCCC doesn't mix well with oily and/or buttery products.

G said...

I always have this problem trying to mix products with aloe vera gel. Good tip!

Peajai said...

Great tip!!

Jazzi said...

IC gel did this to me when I tried to layer it over shea butter! Never again!!!

ChrsLvsBks said...

Thanks, I will definitely try this. I had that problem today :o(

MღRLz said...

Great tip! I don't even want to count how many times I had to rewash my hair making me late! :0(

Unknown said...

Normally if I throw a blow dryer on my hair it will help with the white globbage, but this is such a useful tip. I remember staring at my hair in horror after both IC gel and Ecostyler use, looking like I'd never washed my hair. Such a simple tip, and it makes so much sense!! Thanks!

cinnamonstrous said...

Very simplistic, but ingenious! =) I'll have to remember this for future reference...

Post a Comment

Who is Nappy.Curly.Crown?

I've been natural for 23 of my 29 years on this earth and for the past 5 years consecutively. In those past 5 years, natural hair care has become a hobby and passion of mine. I created this space to help decipher the massive amounts of information about natural hair care, specifically the science of natural hair care. I'm a scientist by trade andprofession and my hope is to make this spot the go to location for information on how to get and keep your natural hair healthy.

Subscribers