The Look For Less: Pseudo Kinky Curly Curling Custard...same look for $3

To refresh everyone’s memory, in this post, I obtained fabulous results that were remarkably similar to my past results achieved using Kinky Curly Curling Custard (KCCC). The product that I used as was….Smooth and Shine Curl Activator Gel (man I can’t fool ya’ll….lol).


Now, most folks have heard me RAVE about this product on various hair boards. From the low low price ($3), to the multiple day hair (I’m currently on day three and I know I can stretch it to 4) this product just can’t be beat! Now, I can sing this product’s praises until the cows come home, but I know that pictures are worth a thousand words.
Hair styled with KCCC (I think this is still damp)















Hair styled with Smooth and Shine (BTW...this is day THREE hair!):


































Now, I’m not trying to dissuade all those folks that are loyal to KCCC to switch over, but given the fact that many people complain about long ship times, the product being out of stock so often and even the recent price increase, it’s always good to have a back up product that can deliver the same results, at a fraction of the cost! Not to mention, a lot of natural women want to have the option of using products they can obtain locally at just about any grocery and/or drug store, Sally’s, and just about every “urban” beauty supply store.

Now, a lot of people just can’t “get” with the thought of using a curl activator gel on their heads with out visions of the “soul glo” family from Coming to America coming to mind…lol. Well, rest assured, there are other similarly priced products that also deliver KCCC like results that are all priced under $10. Subscriber JazziJeni81 has gotten fantastic KCCC like results using Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, which is priced at $8 at whole foods, and she also has gotten similar results using a Fantasia IC Gel ($5 almost everywhere) in a very simple mix she makes. Check out here posts on the HappyCurls hair boards (and while you’re there, join the site and participate in the discussions!).

I know there are several other products that ladies have used and gotten great KCCC like results with. So leave your favorite pseudo KCCC product in the comments section.

11 comments:

natashamck said...

I haven't tried the Kiss my Face gel, but I've tried the regular smooth and shine, and it left my hair dry after several uses. Maybe I should check out the one for dry hair? I still use the regular one whenever I'm at my mom's house and I forget my KCCC. I agree that it gives a similar look to KCCC- but I can't use the regular one too often without experiencing dryness...

nappy.curly.crown said...

What kind of leave in are you using under it...and are u using it in humid weather? In the humid summer, this is by bestest friend. In the dry winter...it hates me. Usually by day three i've had reapply a moisturizer but I havn't had to add a single thing to it.

Single Sassy and Saved said...

Ok just recently I have been debating rather or not I should get hip to curl activator gel. I don't know the word activator scared me a little. So how did you use it for your hair? That might be a dumb question but oh well :o). Also I have a small TWA and do you think this will allow my curls to POP?

Jo said...

Do you comb the product through wet hair? I'm still learning but i think your hair is beautiful

Jo said...

I forgot one thing. Do you tie it up at night or use a satincap?

nappy.curly.crown said...

I applied hairveda Whipped Baggie Cream as a leave in, and then I sectioned my hair in five sections (one on each side, three in the back) and I clip each section up. I just applied with my hands and used a smoothing/racking motion to apply the product. I only comb my hair when it has conditioner on it while in the shower. If you have youtube, check out ladylibra's videos....she has one called the Curlisto method. That's pretty much how I apply my products.

nappy.curly.crown said...

Single, Sassy and Saved: When I had a TWA, this was my GO to product! My advice is that while you have a TWA, don't waste all your money buying expensive products...espically if you wash everyday. Give it a try and see if you like it...it's only $3 at family dollar stores.

Josephine: I tie my hair up with a scarf. If you look at the post yesterday about natural hair and the gym...the two little buns/puffs is how I put my hair at night...and then I put the scarf over that. If I used a satin bonet, I would have a flat smooshed mess on my hands! This sort of keeps the hair all in place without it getting matted and tangled.

Single Sassy and Saved said...

I'm gonna try it out and let you know how it turns out! Thank you so much

Jazzi said...

Thanks for the shoutout NappyCurlyCrown! I totally agree that you can get the KCCC look for less. Pretty much any gel is gonna create curl definition, it's about finding one that adds moisture too and curl activators definitely do the trick! Smooth and Shine was my bread & butter in my TWA years, and I haven't tried it since. I plan to now :D Your hair is SO PRETTY girl!

mothereartha said...

i'm loving the blog ncc! i've been doing the conditioner method (using conditioner as a styler) and pretty happy....but this gel has me wanting to try it..my hair isn't quite a twa but it's pretty short. i'm still not sure if my hair like glycerin and it takes forever to dry just with the conditioner/castor oil mix...

Anonymous said...

YaY FINALLY someone with hair similar to mine :)) I will be checking back for your updates .

Post a Comment

Who is Nappy.Curly.Crown?

I've been natural for 23 of my 29 years on this earth and for the past 5 years consecutively. In those past 5 years, natural hair care has become a hobby and passion of mine. I created this space to help decipher the massive amounts of information about natural hair care, specifically the science of natural hair care. I'm a scientist by trade andprofession and my hope is to make this spot the go to location for information on how to get and keep your natural hair healthy.

Subscribers